Pilonidal sinus is a cyst emerging out of a skin infection normal in people who are habitually seated. The cyst looks like a round sac of tissue and is loaded up with liquid or air. Pilonidal growths happen in the crease of the buttocks – between the tailbone and the butt and might be very painful.
The pilonidal sinus also called pilonidal cyst disease that typically occurs in men and is regularly found to have ingrown hair inside and happens only to those who use to sit a lot.
Causes of Pilonidal Sinus
One of the primary causes of pilonidal sinus is ingrown hair. The development of hair inside the skin rather than on the skin is alluded to as ingrown hair. Pilonidal sore disease or pilonidal sinus is the result of such a resistant reaction.
Long periods of sitting
Staying seated over a long period of time forestalls the cleft between your buttocks and the region around the tailbone from relaxing. This prompts skin friction, and gathering of sweat and residue and is one of the reasons for pilonidal sinus.
Hair follicles because of exorbitant skin hair penetrate the skin, hindering the regular cycles of the skin cells. This makes it ready for the growth of the pilonidal sinus.
Excessive sweating without a section for sweat escape actuates the development of bacteria. Combined with the absence of cleanliness this turns into an unavoidable reason for pilonidal sinus.
Who can get a pilonidal cyst/sinus?
Anybody can get a pilonidal cyst, but the following people are at higher risk of getting a pilonidal cyst:
- Men are at a higher risk than women
- Individuals who wear tight clothes
- People between the age of 20-40 years
- People whose job is to sit all-day
- Overweight people
- Individuals having thick or rough body hair
Pilonidal Sinus Treatment
The two main procedures is used by the surgeon to treat pilonidal cysts include:
Incision and Drainage: – In this procedure, the surgeon will make an incision and then drain the cyst. It is a very easy procedure done at the clinic.
- You’ll be given local anesthesia to numb the targeted area.
- Your surgeon will make a small cut in the cyst to drain the pus.
- Then the surgeon will pack the hole with gauze and leave it open.
- After the treatment, it can take up to 3-4 weeks to heal the treated area. During this period, the gauze needs to be changed.
Surgical Cyst Removal: – In this procedure, the surgeon will remove the whole cyst and the tissues around it. This procedure is also known as a cystectomy.
- This procedure is done under general anesthesia to make the entire process painless.
- A cut will be made to take out the skin with the pores and the tissue beneath it with the hair follicles.
- The treated area may or may not be packed with gauze which depends on the amount of tissue removal. In some cases, a tube is placed to drain fluid collected after surgery.
The entire surgery can take up to 40-45 minutes. After the surgery, the patient can go home on the same day after a few hours.
Recovery After Pilonidal Sinus Surgery
After surgery, the surgeon might choose to leave the treated area open or close it with stitches.
The recovery time depends on the surgical procedure and whether you received stitches or not. However, the complete healing takes between 1-3 months.
Most people resume their daily activities within a month after the surgery. The patients likely have a follow-up appointment as per recommended by the surgeon.
Some of the patients may experience pain or tenderness during the recovery period but medications can reduce the effect of pain. Patients can follow the below activities during the recovery period: –
- Take medications prescribed by the surgeon
- Avoid strenuous activities
- The patient must sit on a doughnut cushion
- Avoid sitting for long on hard surfaces
Side-effects of Pilonidal Sinus Surgery
In most cases, a pilonidal sinus may result in some side effects. Some people may have an infection or other side effects like: –
- Some patients may have poor wound healing
- Numbness around the treated area
- Bleeding may occur
- Pain may be felt after the surgery
- Some patients may have an allergic reaction to medications
- Infection may occur in the treated area
Cost of Pilonidal Sinus Surgery
Pilonidal sinus surgery cost in Delhi is between Rs. 40,000 to Rs. 60,000 depending on multiple factors. However, the average cost of pilonidal sinus surgery is somewhere around Rs. 45,000. Shobhit Aesthetics provides the painless laser surgery of pilonidal sinus. It’s an outpatient surgery where the patients can go home on the same day after a few hours.
Here are multiple factors that affect pilonidal sinus surgery cost: –
- Location of the clinic
- Surgeon’s fee
- Anesthesia fee
Pilonidal sinus surgery cost is very reasonable at Shobhit Aesthetics, contact for more details. He is a best plastic surgeon for AV fistula, Laser Vericose vein and tattoo removal etc.